Parents of JMSS students play a vital role in their learners' development. There are many ways parents can participate and contribute to the vibrant school culture.
Most of the school communication to parents happens through email. Please check your email every week for updates, policies, special events and the school newsletter. If you are not receiving emails, or would like to update your address, please change it via Compass.
Compass is a web-based portal to access many sites and services at JMSS. When students start at JMSS, parents will receive login details for our Compass portal.
You can use this link https://jmss-vic.compass.education
Parents will receive a login, and students will also have a login. It is important not to share your login details with anyone, including your family members.
- see student's schedules/timetable;
- see news items and alerts;
- monitor student's attendance;
- top up printing and photocopy money;
- book Parent/Student/Teacher conferences;
- look up and download reports;
- order school photos;
- print excursion forms and payment forms;
- pay for excursions;
- order new ID cards.
- read news and alerts;
- view timetables and see any class or room changes;
- check any events they need to attend;
- reprint lost excursion forms;
- access resources such as online handbooks and subject sites.
It is expected both parents and students will access Compass on a regular basis:
- parents once a week;
- students every day.
Parents receive an automatic text message from Compass if their student is late.
Attendance and Absences
If a student is going to be away or they are late, please let us know by 9am:
- email our Attendance Officer: email@example.com or
- call the Student Attendance Line on 9902 9712 (messages welcome any time of the day or night).
JMSS sends out a electronic newsletter by email every fortnight during term time. If you would like to be added to the newsletter list please fill in the form on the "Contact" page. Many of our news stories will be online along with photos and videos.
To see the latest newsletter please visit http://inewsletter.co/John-Monash-Science-School/latest
Connect with JMSS via our social media channels:
Facebook @johnmonashscienceschool www.facebook.com/johnmonashscienceschool
Twitter @JohnMonash https://twitter.com/JohnMonash
If you have removed yourself from the alerts list or changed your subscriber status to "Do Not Contact" you will not receive important emails from school. If you would like to re-subscribe you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request to be added back to the list.
In the email request you need to include the following:
1. Business name: John Monash Science School (account ID is: 772586)
2. The List Name you would like to be added back to – for example “Year 12 parents 2017”
Parents and Friends Association (PFA)
PFA is a great way to meet other parents and be involved in school activities. PFA meet one night a month for meetings and guest speaker events, and run other activities at various times throughout the year. You are welcome to come to one event or many. Please visit the PFA page for more info.
We draw on the experience, expertise and energy of members of our parent community to continue to guide JMSS through the formative years of its development. School Council elections take place over February and March each year. Teachers, parents and community members are invited to nominate for council. Parents and community members who do not wish to stand for election to join Council may still wish to contribute to one of our Council Subcommittees:
- Learning and Teaching;
- Student Wellbeing;
- Philanthropic and Corporate Support;
- Facilities; and