Regional Science Exchange
Updated: 16th March 2017
Year 10 students from Regional Victorian schools with a passion for science are invited to John Monash Science School (JMSS) for a 3-week block to attend classes with JMSS students, visit Monash University for science workshops, and experience Melbourne.
Students will study Emerging Sciences in fields such as:
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology;
- From Cells to Systems (Biomedical Science including Stem-cell technology);
- Our Dynamic Earth (Geosciences);
- From Logic to Magic (Enhanced Mathematics);
- Bioinformatics (Decoding the Genome);
- Imaging Science;
- Analytical and Spectroscopic Science;
- From Quarks to Quasars (Astrophysics); and
- Pharmaceutical Science.
Students can either bring your own device (BYOD) or work with laptops and iPads provided on loan during your visit as part of JMSS’s Multi Device Learning Program. Students will return to JMSS to present Emerging Science projects to peers, parents, teachers and academics at our annual Science Fair in October.
The Student Program Fee is $490, payable by families and/or schools, and students will need to organise transport to and from Melbourne. Students will stay with JMSS families, and will have a JMSS buddy. Students will be provided with a myki to catch public transport during their stay, and will need to add money to the myki for travel.
Teacher Professional Development (2 days or 5 days) is also included as part of the experience, for regional teachers to spend time at JMSS working with team teachers, developing curriculum and presenting cutting-edge science.
Dates and Resources for 2017
Term 2, Weeks 4, 5 and 6 - Sunday 7th to Friday 26th May, 2017.
Students attend JMSS for a 3-week block, then will continue their research projects at home, returning to present their posters at our annual Science Fair in October.
Monash University IT policy (PDF 70KB).
Students accepted for Exchange can enter their details here (link to online form).
Monash University Workshops
Challenges and Personal Outcomes
Applications for Year 10 students in 2017 are now closed.
Information Pack (PDF 128KB).
The program is for Year 10 students who have talent, interest, curiosity and enthusiasm in the areas of Science, Mathematics and/or Technology. Apply directly to your Science teacher.
- Students - describe your interest in science/maths/technology in a maximum of one A4 typed page.
- Students - describe in 200 words or less how you will use this opportunity back in your school and/or home town after the experience is over, or how it might impact your future subject or career choices.
- Students - if you are studying any VCE (Year 11 and 12 subjects) in Year 10, please list them and approximately how much work will be required during your 3-week block.
- Please consider and list any possible issues regarding being away from home for 3 weeks, eg: part-time work, sporting commitments, experience staying away from home.
- Teachers - a summary of students’ academic performance over the period Year 7- 9 with particular reference to science, mathematics and technology capabilities. Please comment on student potential and the value of the program to the student and school. Maximum of one A4 typed page.
- Geographical location of students’ homes and schools attended will also be considered.
- Indigenous students are encouraged to apply.
For more information please email firstname.lastname@example.org.