The aim of John Monash Science School is to fully develop the talents and capacities of all students to help them strive for personal best.
We help our students to develop interdisciplinary capabilities such as critical and creative thinking, alongside ethical, intercultural, personal and social perspectives. Students are empowered through learning in the classroom, extra-curricular and co-curricular activities, and leadership opportunities, to develop the above capabilities so that they are equipped for their future in a changing world.
The JMSS Strategic Plan has a whole school approach to student engagement, empowerment and wellbeing. We believe in providing students with an environment that promotes responsibility, resilience and a growth mindset.
Positive Education was introduced at the start of 2018 as a whole-school approach to promoting a positive climate for learning.
Positive Education focuses on specific skills that assist students to strengthen their relationships, build positive emotions, enhance personal resilience and promote their health so that students are positively engaged in their learning and experience positive accomplishments.
Strategies to promote Student Empowerment, Engagement and Wellbeing
The following structures / processes / strategies are put in place to promote Student Empowerment, Engagement and Wellbeing at John Monash Science School:
• We create and sustain links to academic partners within Monash University, as well as external organisations, who can enrich the learning experiences and opportunities of our students, such as in their Work Experience Program;
• We develop an innovative ICT-rich learning environment in order to improve student engagement and achievement;
• We encourage Student Voice at JMSS to be a powerful and positive influence on student learning, personal development and the building of leadership capacity;
• We develop a strong and vibrant House and Mentor System, with a view to building and sustaining connectedness within the student body, and between students and staff.
• We ensure effective counselling and monitoring processes are in place so that every JMSS student progresses through a course which suits their abilities and aspirations, and leads to a pathway of their choosing beyond JMSS. The students’
Mentors undertake an active role in the monitoring of the student learning journey and pathway.